Monday, April 29, 2013

Fiercer Than Miranda Lambert: "Stupid" by Kacey Musgraves


Kacey Musgraves is one of the best things to happen to country music in a while.  This is a bold statement, I know, but it's true.  What's great about Kacey is her incredible songwriting ability.  I am a sucker for singer/songwriters and  she truly has a rare talent.  If you've been keeping with the weekly drama unfolding on the show 'Nashville' you might remember a song that Juliette and Deacon "wrote" together called 'Undermine'.  This song was actually written by Kacey and you can see her performance of the song here if you'd like:

She also wrote Miranda Lambert's current hit "Mama's Broken Heart", a song full of angst that is well on its way to becoming a #1 song for Miranda.

  Knowing how good of a songwriter she is and loving her first single "Merry Go Round", I was really looking forward to her album.  But I was also a little nervous about it because of an incident that occurred only a few months earlier that changed me in a very deep and profound way...

There was an artist (whom shall remain nameless) not too long ago who released a song to country radio that I adored for the same reasons I love "Merry Go Round".  It was honest, personal, and most importantly, it had a very different feel from any other country song on the radio.  I was on fire for this artist. I sang his praises for months before his album was released, telling people grand stories about how he was going to change modern country as we know it and usher in a wave of new, unique artists with strong musical convictions (I tend to get carried away with things).  I was living in a beautiful fantasy world until.... this person's debut album was released. To say the least I was disappointed by it and the pedestal I had built for this person along with the imaginary world I had created came crashing down.

 I walked away from that album.... wiser.
I was determined not to make the same mistake with Kacey and tried not to let myself get too excited for her CD's release.  Fortunately, she came through for me :)  I adore her album and really respect the acoustic/folksy country feel she has, which shines through in adorable songs like "My House" and cheeky songs like "Step Off" and "Blowin' Smoke".  But if you're looking for something a bit edgier, you should listen to "Stupid".  It's prominent drum kick is contagious and the beat immediately pulls you into the song.  There's a dark tone to the song but it isn't your average my-boyfriend-was-a-jerk-and-now-I'm-going-to-disgrace-him-in-front-of-the-whole-world kind of song because Kacey's frustration is aimed both at a man and herself.  Much like in "Merry Go Round" Kacey uses repetition and simplicity extremely well in the catchphrase of the song, "Stupid love is stupid/Don't know why we always do it."  Notice the use of we not you.

Which brings up another reason to love Kacey.  Her songs are unashamedly honest.  She'll write about mistakes other people have made, but also about mistakes she's made.  I really hope after you listen to "Stupid" you listen to the rest of her CD because it is fantastic.  Dare I say, it's the best all around country album I've heard in a long time.  Wow, that was really bold too...


    

1 comment:

  1. i was not a fan of hers. But i re-listened to her album recently and FELL IN LOVE. I can't get enough of her!

    ReplyDelete