Thursday, April 11, 2013

A Celebration of Joy and Pain: "Officially Alive" by Brad Paisley





Let me just say how huge of a fan I am of Brad Paisley.  I can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t listen to his music and I've seen him in concert more times than I can count.  Believe it or not, last year I saw his Camobunga tour three times.  Yes, the same show three different times and I was blown away by it every single time.  When I was in 6th grade my incredible uncle surprised me and got me a backstage pass to meet Brad after one of his shows. 

It. Was. Incredible.

The highlight of my life thus far?  Why yes.  Yes, it was.  

I know I look heinous, but in my defense I didn't know I was going to meet him :)

Brad was such a gentleman and my love for him and his music was amplified that day.  As the years have gone by I’ve enjoyed hearing the evolution of Brad’s music and have been anticipating his new album, "Wheelhouse" for quite some time.  It came out on Tuesday and I raced to Crackerbarrel after school to pick up my copy.  Brad's been receiving some heat for this album but I honestly believe that it is one of his greatest records to date.  All recording was done at his home in Franklin, Tennessee and it is obvious that he poured his heart and soul into these songs.  Heck, he was involved in basically every aspect of creating the album.  He wrote, played, sang, and produced the album.  

Some people are really opposed to this album which upsets me but it seems like Brad is totally cool with it.  He even predicted it.  In the booklet of his album Brad says "This record is the sound of an old farmhouse.  It is the sound of 7 band members creating, collaborating, fighting, and high-fiving.  It is a digital journal of the shattering of comfort zones and collateral magic.  It is the sound of creaky old floorboards, screen doors, and immutable songwriting minds opening.  We only had one rule with this record: To throw out the rules... When we began, I hung a sign above the door : This place on earth,  This moment in time, has never been recorded before and will never happen again.  Now as it leaves our house and finds its way to yours, I can't wait to see what you think.  This album may not be for everyone but I hope it is for you". 

As you've probably guessed, I would recommend any of his songs from "Wheelhouse" but the one that stuck out to me the most when I first listened to the album is the last track called  "Officially Alive".  It will immediately give you an optimistic view on whatever is bothering you and is perfect to listen to on a bad day.  Brad says that we should celebrate those moments in life where we experience unbridled enthusiasm* or even when we experience intense pain because those are the moments that make us human.  Once you've experienced a wide range of emotions, you know that you've really lived.  You've taken chances and haven't let fear hold you back from enjoying life- even if some of those chances didn't pan out the way you had hoped.  Also, the last verse about holding his kids for the very first time is adorable.  

*Shout out to hard core Seinfeld fans who picked up on that reference





No comments:

Post a Comment